January 27, 2011

Challenge: How To Ask The Right Questions

I am one of those people who love details.  In choosing the camera model or lens to buy, I would usually go through a comparison and selection process.  I would gather all the features and put side by side, then I would identify then categorize these features into must haves or nice to haves based on my own requirements and preferences.  Call me OC (obsessive compulsive), but yes, this has helped me over the years to select the right thing for me, and I've never regret selecting it.  The internet has been a great resource.  And in today's world, you can also find great reviews from people who are in the same boat as you.  But be careful, cause not all reviews will match your situation.  So don't be too quick to just rely on a review, even the ones that appear in guides inside professional magazines or websites.  For me, I look at features first and foremost, then I only use the reviews to validate my choice.  My suggestion: don't be lazy.  It does pay off to do the research, and more importantly, be sure to be clear about your requirements and preferences.


On another instant, I've also used the internet, esp Google search to find and know more about a technique recommended by a critic.  For instance, one of the reviews to my photos suggested for me to review the "golden rule."  I encountered the Rule of Thirds before, but I wasn't really familiar with the Golden Rule.  Or another review suggested for me to do "focus stacking."  Although he explained that it refers to making the near and far in focus, I wasn't sure how to do it.  Apparently, I found out that it involves some post-shot processing.  There are so much resources out there, it's a shame not to use them.  And if you get stuck, then ask people for help.  At least they know that you've done your research first.  And even if you don't know where or what to search, that's one of the questions you can ask help for, rather than appearing lazy and just outright asking questions that could otherwise be answered easily somewhere else.


Then lastly, review the basics.  Even if you've been shooting for years, it's always good to go back to the basics and find clues to your questions.  A lot of times, I've managed to answer a question on my own, by simply going back and reviewing my user's manual, or basic photography book.


Don't get me wrong, a lot of people will be happy to help and answer your questions, especially in the forums, but when a question gets asked too many times, people get tired of it.  Helping yourself is essential, and you'll see, it will attract the right level of help from others too.



No comments:

Post a Comment